Dad Receives Ultimate Father’s Day Gift in Obstacle Course Challenge
- Fathers and their children kicked off Father’s Day weekend by competing in the “Dodge Magnum Big Red Wagon” challenge
- Richard Dale of Waretown, N.J. completed the obstacle course with the highest score and won two new sets of red wheels – a 2007 Dodge Magnum for dad and a little red wagon for his children
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia received $5,000 for the positive impact they have on children
Dads vying to receive more than a tie for Father’s Day kicked off the holiday weekend by competing in a dad-themed obstacle course challenge. Donning oversized neckties and grilling aprons, 15 fathers from Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia were able to test their super dad skills in a series of activities for the chance to win the ultimate Father’s Day present -- a new 2007 Dodge Magnum big red wagon for dad and a little red wagon for the kids.
From flipping burgers on a 345 horsepower HEMI® grill and racing down a giant playground slide to revving up the engine of a remote control race car, the dads went head to head in the “Dodge Magnum Big Red Wagon” challenge to see who could score the most points and complete the challenge in the shortest amount of time.
The Father’s Day inspired challenge was created after a recent Dodge brand survey revealed that 68 percent of fathers had a little red wagon when they were children and one in three dads said they would most like to receive a new car for Father’s Day.
Holding signs of support and homemade Father’s Day crowns, dozens of children raced up and down the sidelines of the five station obstacle course cheering on their fathers. At the end of the challenge, six-year-old Richie and four-year-old Ryan of Waretown, N.J., ran up to their dad and revealed that he had scored the most points and was the winner of “Dodge Magnum Big Red Wagon” challenge. As the winning team, the Dales received a new 2007 Dodge Magnum R/T with a 5.7-liter HEMI® engine for dad, and remote control Dodge Magnums and little red wagon for the kids.
“The obstacle course was a great way to spend the day with my boys.” said Dale. “I’ve never received anything like this for Father’s Day before and can’t wait to get home to my wife Cindy and daughter Payton so our whole family can share in the excitement of our new Dodge Magnum.”
Dale and his sons were cheered on by Dale’s sister Maureen and her 12-year-old son Matt during the Father’s Day Challenge. His wife Cindy stayed at home with their one-year-old daughter and couldn’t believe the news when the call came in.
“I just kept saying ‘no way, you’re kidding’ when Maureen called and told me he won,” said Cindy. “Richard is a wonderful father and we’re all going to remember this Father’s Day for many years to come.”
Although the Dales won the challenge, all participants went home as winners, receiving a Radio Flyer little red wagon, Dodge tool kit, car wash kit, HEMI® barbecue sauce and more. In addition, the event also raised $5,000 for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia for the positive impact they have on children.
“After our survey revealed that dads loved red wagons, new cars and spending time with their children, we created a Father’s Day inspired challenge that would allow us to make those dreams come true,” said Mike Accavitti, Director – Dodge Brand and SRT Marketing and Communications. “We’ve enjoyed kicking off Father’s Day weekend with all of these great dads and are very excited to give the Dales a safe and stylish family vehicle to transport their family.”
Fathers and their children registered online at www.DodgeMagnumBigRedWagon.com for the chance to compete in the “Dodge Magnum Big Red Wagon” obstacle course. Participants submitted a 250-word essay answering the following questions – “Why would winning a Dodge Magnum be the ultimate Father’s Day gift; and how would a new Dodge Magnum help you be a better dad?” More than 300 teams entered the contest and 15 teams were selected to compete for the grand prize.
Obstacle Course Stations
The “Dodge Magnum Big Red Wagon” challenge consisted of five “dad-tastic” obstacle course stations:
- Station 1: Backyard BBQ – With 71 percent of Americans agreeing: it isn’t Father’s Day without a backyard barbecue! Dads donned their grilling duds – right down to the puffy chef hats – and competed to flip the most burgers on a giant HEMI powered grill, which can cook 240 hotdogs in 3 minutes
- Station 2: Playground Showdown – Dads had to wear a barbecue apron and oversized necktie while racing down an giant playground slide
- Station 3: Fast-Packin’ Papas – Dads have an uncanny knack for packing the family vehicle with everything a family needs for a road trip. At this station, dads proved their packing prowess by loading up a vehicle with oversized toys, BBQ gear and more in 60 seconds
- Station 4: Dad Steers Best – Dads are always there to put new toys together and pop in the batteries. The only problem is trying to get the toys out of their hands afterwards! To give in to dads’ desire to play, each dad had to show off his remote control driving skills on a miniature speedway
- Station 5: Pitch Perfect – Dad cheers the loudest at the Little League games and he always makes time to throw the ball around on a sunny Saturday afternoon. In honor of America’s favorite pastime, each dad dressed up in baseball gear and competed to throw the perfect pitch
2007 Dodge Magnum
The 2007 Dodge Magnum is a stylish alternative for consumers who want the comfort and performance of a car, and the capability and image of a sport-utility vehicle (SUV), without sacrificing everyday functionality. Magnum offers a bold, unique profile; exceptional versatility; and rear-wheel and all-wheel-drive performance. Nothing else is like it on the road.
Fortified with integrated safety and security features, the 2007 Dodge Magnum provides outstanding occupant protection on the road. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave the Dodge Magnum a five-star rating for driver and front-passenger protection in a frontal crash, the highest rating in the U.S. government’s safety crash-test program.
About the Dodge Brand
With a U.S. market share of approximately 6 percent, Dodge is the Chrysler Group’s best-selling brand and the fifth largest nameplate in the U.S. automotive market. In 2006, Dodge sold more than 1.3 million vehicles in the global market. Dodge continues to lead the minivan market with a 20 percent market share in the U.S. In the highly competitive truck market, Dodge has a 15 percent market share. Dodge is also entering key European volume segments with Nitro and Caliber.
About the Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia is a founding member of a national youth development movement consisting of Boys & Girls Clubs of America and 4,000 local organizations that collectively serve more than 4.5 million young people. Serving Philadelphia with quality out-of-school-time programs since 1887, the Clubs’ mission is to help youth, particularly those who need them most, develop the qualities and skills they need to become responsible citizens and leaders.
Permission has been obtained from Radio Flyer Inc. relative to the use of its name and trademark rights