New 2011 Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 Chassis Cabs Deliver Complete Commercial Package
- All-new crew cab increases rear legroom by four inches
- All-new design and exterior styling
- Largest standard fuel tank (52 gal.) offering extended operating range
- Largest front-brake rotors and calipers (Ram 4500/5500 models)
- Standard diesel exhaust brake
- Standard diesel 24,000 lb. best-in-class Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) and optional 26,000 lb.
- All-new optional integrated trailer-brake controller
- Four all-new upfitter switches integrated into the instrument panel
- Ultra-clean diesel emissions-compliant with new diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection based on urea injection
- Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) technology
- Best-in-class Powertrain Limited warranty: 5 years/100,000 miles
- HEMI® V-8 with variable-valve timing (VVT) improves fuel economy up to four percent (Ram 3500). Best-in-class 383 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque
- Six-speed automatic and class-exclusive manual transmission with power take-off (PTO) capability
- 180-amp diesel engine base alternator
- Comprehensive commercial-grade service and support with Body Builder Guide and hotline support from engineering team
- Standard N-Rated tires on 4500 and 5500 for best-in-class speed (emergency vehicle applications-87mph)
- B20 package available to fleet customers
- To view the complete 2011 Chrysler Group Product Information press kit, visit http://www.chryslergroupproductinformation2011.com
Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 Chassis Cabs compete within the Class 3-5 segments with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 13,000 to 19,500 lbs. and are targeted at small-business tradesmen, fleet customers and traditional chassis cab users.
The 2011 Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 Chassis Cabs offer the largest standard fuel tank (52 gal.), largest front-brake rotors (390 mm) and calipers (66 mm) on the 4500/5500, and a standard diesel-exhaust brake.
Offered in regular cab, crew cab, single-rear-wheel and dual-rear-wheel models, four cab-axle lengths (60, 84, 108 and 120 inches) are available for 4500/5500 models and two cab-axle lengths (60 and 84 inches) are offered for the 3500 model. Three trim levels are offered: ST, SLT and Laramie.
The 2011 Ram 3500 models feature two axles with three axle ratios (3.42, 3.73 and 4.10) and 17-in. wheels, while Ram 4500/5500 models have one axle with three axle ratios (4.10, 4.44 and 4.88) and 19.5-inch wheels. All Ram Chassis Cab models are “Job-rated,” meaning they are designed, engineered, tested and built to meet rigid standards of commercial truck buyers.
Improved standard features include a six-speed manual transmission, increased GVWR (13,000 lbs. from 12,500 lbs. on 3500 diesel model), an Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) integrated into the instrument cluster, four upfitter switches, increased alternator size on diesel (180-amps), automatic headlamps, an upgraded HEMI® engine, and second-row headrests and rear heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) ducts.
Optional features include electronic gear select for improved towing performance, GCWR of 26,000 lbs on Ram 3500, heated and ventilated seats, heated second-row seats, heated steering wheel, one-touch front windows, signal mirrors with puddle lamps, power inverter, upper and lower glove-box doors, driver and passenger power lumbar, automatic dual-temperature controls, integrated trailer-brake controller, navigation system with traffic-alert feature, soft upper instrument panel, and memory system for seats, radio, mirrors and pedals.
Ram’s “new crew” of trucks is built on a road-tested, proven commercial-grade frame and suspension system with best-in-class frame steel strength (50,000-psi). Maintaining its common architecture for commercial applications, the one-piece C-channel rear-frame rail’s riveted cross members provide more durability than traditional welds or bolts. In addition, rivets allow for easy removal and/or replacement of components during upfits and modifications.
Maximum upfit-friendliness is achieved with industry-standard 34-in. frame-rail spacing and flat, clean frame rails on a proven one-piece C-channel rear-frame rail boasting 50,000-psi steel strength (best-in-class for all models). All chassis components are below the frame surface allowing easy adaptability and versatility for virtually any upfit application.
Further improving upfit-friendliness, the new 2011 Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 Chassis Cabs now feature four all-new upfitter switches integrated on the instrument panel.
Each of these four upfitter switches are linked to an auxiliary power distribution center (PDC) located under the hood, which includes one fused 20-amp battery feed and one fused relay-controlled 20-amp ignition.
A special capped auxiliary fuel line on the fuel tank makes upfitting even easier, facilitating the use of auxiliary equipment running on fuel. The fuel filler is routed through the frame and an optional 22-gal. mid-ship fuel tank frees up more space behind the rear axle for special upfit applications. Fuel and brake lines are routed together on the frame’s driver side to make better use of space along the frame. This also provides clearance for rear-exhaust routing.
Both standard and optional fuel tanks feature a through-the-frame fuel filler (external on the mid-ship tank), which allows virtually any upfit without the need for additional modification. In addition, the vehicle’s new diesel exhaust fluid system (DEF) is smartly placed in unused space, out of the way and under the cab for added upfitter convenience.
The legendary, proven 6.7-liter Cummins High-Output Turbo Diesel is the benchmark for reliability and performance. The engine, optional on Ram 3500 models and standard on 4500 and 5500 models, generates 305 horsepower (227 kW) at 2,900 rpm and 610 lb.-ft. (827 N•m) of torque at 1,600 rpm. Inherently reliable with fewer moving parts than competitive V-8 diesel engines, the Cummins engine delivers exceptional fuel economy and ensures commercial capability, durability and low cost of ownership.
With the Cummins 6.7-liter Turbo Diesel, an optional 3.42 axle ratio is available on the 2011 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab for improved fuel economy. Customers with serious trailer-tow needs will enjoy Ram 3500’s new optional 26,000 lb GCWR – on 6.7-liter diesel manual trucks with a 4.10 axle ratio.
The 6.7-liter Cummins features a factory-installed segment-exclusive exhaust brake. The Cummins design works with the Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) and offers multiple benefits including reduced brake wear and longer brake life which may lengthen service intervals, and enhanced safety benefits including increased braking effectiveness and greater control of the vehicle.
The 6.7-liter engine is cleaner with a reduction in particulates and nitrogen oxide (NOx) that comply with both 50-state heavy-duty emission standards and diesel emissions compliance thanks to an all-new diesel exhaust fluid injection system with urea injection Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) technology.
Cummins diesel-equipped chassis cabs are in full compliance with stringent new emissions-at -idle laws and an exterior label allow drivers to idle without time restrictions in California and other Air Resource Board (ARB) states. This is a no-cost option.
In addition, the new 2011 Ram transmissions include Electronic Range Select (ERS), which enables the driver to manually limit the highest available transmission gear, allowing manual upshifts and downshifts based on road speed and engine speed. A tow/haul-mode switch enhances tow capability while towing.
The new 2011 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab comes standard with a new-generation 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 with Variable-valve Timing (VVT) that will appeal to customers who require a gas engine. Providing best-in-class power and torque with better fuel economy, the engine incorporates a 9-percent higher compression ratio (10.5:1), Variable-valve Timing and an active intake-manifold. These technologies, combined with engine and powertrain integration improvements, result in a 4-percent improvement in fuel economy, improved idle quality and overall refinement. HEMI-powered 2011 Ram 3500 Chassis Cabs are rated at a best-in-class 383 horsepower (286 kW) at 5,600 rpm and 400 lb.-ft. (542 N•m) of torque at 4,000 rpm.
Completing the package, Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 Chassis Cabs offer a proven six-speed Aisin automatic transmission (complete with a 5-year/100,000-mile warranty) with power take-off (PTO) capability or a six-speed manual transmission with PTO capability. The proven commercial-grade six-speed automatic is a completely electronically controlled transmission that features excellent shift quality (using advanced electro-hydraulic clutch-to-clutch control) and close gear ratios with static and mobile PTO capability. With outstanding shift performance and more control, the six-speed manual transmission achieves a high-ratio sixth gear for longer highway cruising. An available electronic-shift transfer case is also offered on SLT and Laramie models.
The Aisin six-speed automatic transmission includes two significant enhancements to the PTO function. The torque converter now locks up in PTO mode for better fuel economy and speed control while using aerial lifts and air compressors. Customers also now have the ability to program a precise engine RPM that is activated immediately when the PTO is engaged. This eliminates the need to toggle up to the desired engine RPM.
For the 2011 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab, larger front axle U-joints were developed and front GAWR was increased on diesel trucks to 5,500 lbs. from 5,200. This results in increased front-weight carrying capability – allowing the use of larger snowplows.
Engineered to deliver precise feel and response for better handling, the new 2011 Ram Chassis Cab’s steering and suspension system boast superb strength with a focus on improved load capacity, increased durability and refined handling. Two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive models feature a recirculating ball system that provides precise response and an on-center steering feel through lower internal friction.
Featuring solid front and rear axles, and a five-link, coil-spring front suspension with solid axle, a front and rear link-type sway bar and heavy-duty tubular shock absorbers are standard. The rear suspension on two- and four-wheel-drive models is equipped with leaf springs and includes standard two-stage springs as part of the design for greater load-carrying capability and better ride with light loads.
Larger external mirrors are new for 2011, giving drivers a more useable area while improving aerodynamics and minimizing wind noise. Larger, 7-in. x 11-in. mirrors for trailer towing are standard. Mirrors flip up and out into a vertical configuration for trailer-tow use.
Interior design elements include a balance of work-truck functionality and a desired refined, upscale comfort. Interior comfort and convenience features include all-new heated and ventilated seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, memory functions, automatic temperature control, express-up/down windows, and upper and lower glove boxes. Redesigned seats are significantly more comfortable with more surface area and improved lumbar and lateral support. Interiors feature soft-feel door bolsters and armrests and one-piece molded door panels. The center stack is designed for optimum placement of controls in the most intuitive and comfortable locations.
Storage is top-of-mind for those who use their truck as an office. A new-for-2011 available center console features an upper bin that is large enough to hold a laptop computer (with an accessible power outlet), and a lower bin that accommodates hanging files. In addition, the console offers several other storage compartments.
Other storage locations are built into the instrument panel, front and rear-door panels, and seat backs. Upper and lower glove boxes provide a total of more than 800 cu. in. of storage.
Ram Chassis Cab models are available in Saddle Brown Pearl Pearl Coat, White Gold Metallic, Hunter Green Pearl Coat, Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat, Bright Silver Metallic, Bright White, Brillliant Black Crystal Pearl, Deep Water Blue Pearl, Flame Red, Mineral Gray Metallic and Rugged Brown Pearl. A palate of special paint colors is also available.
2010 MODEL YEAR
No changes, new for late 2009
2009 MODEL YEAR
- New 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 with Variable-Valve Timing delivers increased horsepower and torque ratings with improved fuel economy
- Optional 3.42 (with manual transmission) and 3.73 (with automatic transmission) axle ratios for improved fuel economy
- New brake system extends service intervals and delivers maximum stopping power while delivering better fuel economy
- Standard Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) increased to class-leading
- All-new ambulance prep package
- Power Take-Off (PTO) pump rating increases 55 percent
- Cummins 6.7-liter Turbo Diesel engine available with Remote Start (automatic only)
- PTO prep package now available with Laramie trim-level trucks
- New tailpipe and resonator when equipped with HEMI V-8
- Standard speed control (optional speed control delete)
2008 MODEL YEAR
- Standard exhaust brake system
- Power Take-Off (PTO) prep package includes standard cruise control
- New colors – Sunburst Orange and Detonator Yellow
- Low-volume paint options for large fleets
- Dark Maple Burl woodgrain interior accents for Laramie models
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system is standard on models with less than 10,000 lbs. GVWR
2007 MODEL YEAR
- All-new 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Chassis Cab launched in Class 3 chassis cab segment
- Available with both two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive models
- Two available cab-axle lengths (60 inches and 84 inches)
- Single-rear-wheel and dual-rear-wheel versions
- Regular Cab and Quad Cab configurations
- Three trim lines (ST, SLT and Laramie)
- Distinguishing characteristics include:
- Available new 6.7-liter High-Output Cummins Turbo Diesel
- All-new commercial-grade chassis
- Upfit-friendly design
- Exclusive flat, “clean” frame rails with industry-standard 34-inch rail spacing
- Class-leading advantages include:
- Highest standard single-rear-wheel GVWR (10,200 lbs.)
- Best-in-class standard V-8 power (330-horsepower HEMI®)
- Best-in-class interior room (121.7 cubic feet for Quad Cab models)
- Best-in-class frame steel strength (50,000-psi steel strength)
- Largest standard fuel tank (52 gallons)